This will be my first time participating in this, so if I mess it up somehow, let me know…
Welcome to the ninth installment of the EVE Blog Banter and its first contest, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed here. Check out other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!
“Last month Ga’len asked us which game mechanic we would most like to see added to EVE. This month Keith “WebMandrill” Nielson proposes to reverse the question and ask what may be a controversial question: Which game mechanic would you most like to see removed completelyfrom EVE and why? I can see this getting quite heated so lets keep it civil eh?”
Well I learned all about War Dec’s last night, and I have to say this is the first bump in the road for me mechanics wise. And when I saw this was the month’s topic on Blog Banter, it fit.
The setup? I need to move 20 jumps to get to my corps new home. Turns out its in Placid, which is Gallente space, and right next door to a slew of Federal Customs agents. So our paths continue to coincide for now. Plus I think things have begun to get a little better structure and communication wise…but I digress.
At one point, there was talk of cynoing a carrier out to pick me up, because that 20 system line has been camped by the corps we are at war against. Even though they are high sec. So apparently this allows you to start stuff anywhere in the universe if the other guy is blinky red to you, without consequence. So…new players should stay out of corps, unless they want to get ganked everywhere, instead of just in low sec and 0.0 space?
Really? On the war dec page, it says that neither war is mutual. I asked around, and apparently when a corp war decs, the other corp can reciprocate, in which case they foot half the bill, or they can turn it down, in which case the aggressing corp pays all the bills. But nothing else changes. So…why would you ever make it mutual?
So what if I leave the corp? Well, there is a 24 hour cooldown, during which you are still considered a war target…so long as you had a role in the corporation (which I did – “Recruit”). So…why would you ever assign roles in game?
So for my two cents, War Declarations need to be replaced completely. There’s alot of loose ends to the current system. Basically, War Decs are nothing more than bribes to the Empire and Concord to stay out of your fight. Fine, but call a thing what it is and play it as it should be. Wars belong in unclaimed space…
And while we are at it, no more raising of Security Status. EVE allows players to gank and rebel to their hearts content, and then kill a few rats to smooth things over. Seriously? Once your sec status drops below zero, it should never again be able to go above zero.
Results? Corp Wars in Empire space look less like Vietnam and more like the Gang Warfare of the 20’s and 30’s. Capone and Dillinger anyone? Bribes, black market trading, drivebys. Think of how factional warfare and militias could be interwoven with this! And we acquire more of a rogues gallery. Yeah, I know, the Sec status thing is harsh, and I’m still thinking it through, but…
Anyway, both of these things are not quite in line with the rest of the EVE experience, and need a little work. Along with PLEX’s…but that’s a whole ‘nother ball of wax.
- Diary of a Space Jockey, Blog Banter: BE GONE!
- EVE Newb, (EVE) Remove You
- Miner With Fangs, Blog Banter – It’s the Scotch
- The Eden Explorer, Blog Banter: The Map! The Map!
- The Wandering Druid of Tranquility, “Beacons, beacons, beacons, beacons, beacons, mushroom, MUSHROOM!!!”
- Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah, Kill the Rats
- Mercspector @ EVE, Scotty
- EVE’s Weekend Warrior, EVE Blog Banter #9
- Miner with Fangs, Blog Banter – It’s the Scotch
- A Merry Life and a Short One, Eve Blog Banter #9: Why Won’t You Die?
- Into the unknown with gun and camera, Blog Banter – The Hokey Cokey
- The Flightless Geek, EVE Blog Banter #9: Remove a Game Mechanic
- Sweet Little Bad Girl, Blog Banter 9: Who is Nibbling at My House?
- One Man and His Spaceship, Blog Banter 9: What could you do without?
- Life in Low Sec, EVE Blog Banter #9: Stop Tarnishing My Halo
- Cle Demaari: Citizen, Blog Banter #9: Training for all my men!
- A Mule in EVE, He who giveth, also taketh away?
- Dense Veldspar, Blog Banter 9
- Morphisat’s Blog, Blog Banter #9 – Randomness Be Gone !
- Facepalm’s Blog, EVE Blog Banter #9: What a new pilot could do without
- Memoires of New Eden, You’re Fired
- Kyle Langdon’s Journeys in EVE, EVE Blog Banter #9 Titans? What’s a Titan?
- Achernar, The gates! The gates are down!
- Speed Fairy, EVE Blog Banter #9: Down with Downtime!
- I am Keith Neilson, EVE Blog Banter #9-F**K Da Police
- Ripe Lacunae, The UI… Where do I begin… (Eve Blog Banter #9)
- Clown Punchers, EvE Blogs: What game mechanic would you get rid of?
- Estel Arador Corp Services, You’ve got mail
- Epic Slant, Let Mom and Pop Play: EVE Blog Banter #9
- Deaf Plasma’s EVE Musings, Blog Banter #9 – Removal of Anchoring Delay of POS modules
- Podded Once Again, Blog Banter #9 – Do we really need to go AFK?
- Postcards from EVE, 2009.07.02.00.29.06
- More articles as they are posted!