Well this ought to be fun.
1. I am a graduate and proud diploma holder of the International Baccalaureate program. Which basically just means I have more things crammed into my head and ways to cross-reference them than the average person.
2. I’ve only ever gotten 3 speeding tickets, and two of them were complete BS. I got a ticket for doing 68 on I-20, in the slow lane, while being passed by motorists in the other two lanes. But that’s what I get for having out of state plates I guess. Easy pickings. The other one I got in a 100 yard long zone by an elementary school where the speed limit dips from 45 to 40. I got a ticket for doing 45. Nothing screams “we need money” like a guy handing out tickets for 5 mph over in a zone almost not long enough to brake in.
3. I still have a fully functional copy of Dark Tower. With all the pieces. Current Ebay prices range from $350 to $1200.
4. I once swam with a dolphin…on accident. I worked two summers for a volunteer water testing program growing up in Florida. We were collecting samples by free diving right at the mouth of the bay. I thought my partner was tapping me on the shoulder while I was gathering stuff on the bottom, turned around, and was nose to nose with a dolphin. We played hide and seek for a few minutes (I had to surface a lot more often than him), but I will never forget that moment, looking into his/her eyes. There was a lot of intelligence there.
5. I played Magic: The Gathering in Europe. We were on a school trip and I played in game shops from Madrid to Paris. And I picked up a solid collection of cards in both those languages and Italian to boot (including a rare black-border Underworld Dreams). For the record: black and red combo decks were all the rage in France, and I got completely hosed by them. I did better in Spain.
6. This one time, in band camp…my drum major was Barry Kerch. Before he was a big rock star. Barry was in charge of things my freshman year and was a great leader and very talented drummer. I’m not surprised he made it in the big time. I am surprised that he has dreads and tats. Dude was rocking polo’s and jeans back in the day.
7. The first video game I ever beat was Karnov on the NES. It was insanely difficult. I still haven’t recovered, which is probably why I rarely max-level in MMO’s.
8. I’ve met Terry Brooks and Timothy Zahn in person. Both are exceedingly cool. And Zahn said that if he ever got a chance to write the idea I pitched him, he would totally give me credit. It was for an alternate universe Star Wars novel following the exploits of Chiss Smuggler Thrawn Solo. I’m noting that here in case we get entangled in a comically vicious lawsuit later on down the line.
9. I’m a lefty. Which means, of course, that I am in my right mind. And that I can’t use scissors properly.
10. My favorite president is Andrew Jackson. I know, I know…Trail of Tears. And I completely agree. My next step is generally to ask people what other mistakes Jackson made during his presidency. And I’m usually met with a wall of silence. Not bad for two terms eh? And, here is why I like him: He’s the only president in our history to accomplish paying off the national debt. See, you like AJ and you didn’t even know it…